Royal Council Petitions IGP, Describes Accra Regional Police Command as ‘Crime Scene’ Needing Overhaul

A prominent traditional leader in the heart of Accra has petitioned the Inspector-General of Police over what he describes as a “frightening and unlawful assault” on his palace by armed officers operating without proper authorisation.

The petition, submitted to the Police Intelligence and Professional Standards Bureau (PIPS), was filed by Nii Ayitey Anumle Oyanka, Chairman of the Abola Piam Royal Council. Nii Oyanka also holds leadership positions within several regional and international bodies.

According to him, the incident occurred on the morning of Thursday, July 28, 2025, when about ten masked and armed police officers arrived at his palace in a Tundra pickup truck, allegedly led by an officer identified only as “Eric.”

From Greeting to Confrontation

Nii Oyanka recounted that the officer initially greeted him while speaking on the phone. “I overheard him telling someone, ‘I’ve stopped to greet the chief of the area.’ Then I heard a voice say, ‘Take him also.’ He ended the call and told me I had been named in a complaint,” he stated.

The officer reportedly said the complaint came from a nearby tenant, Atik Mohammed. However, Nii Oyanka alleges that the officer soon demanded money to “make the matter go away,” claiming the complainant had not paid what he promised.

“I told him I would go inside to get the money, but instead I called my lawyer,” the petition says.

No Official Knowledge of the Operation

While his lawyer contacted the Regional Crime Officer and Station Officer, Nii Oyanka claims it became clear that no one in official command was aware of the operation. He refused to come out of the palace, speaking to the officers through a window.

The petition alleges that the situation escalated, with the officers banging on doors, shouting, and pointing guns at the windows. Nii Oyanka says he pretended to comply, then slipped out through a back exit to hide in a kitchen.

Detention of Palace Elders

The officers allegedly detained palace elders, including the Djasehene, and threatened his family.

“They shouted at my parents, ‘Where is your son? If you don’t show us, we will beat you and arrest all of you.’ They were breaking into family rooms and even the kitchen,” the petition recounts.

Eventually, the officers reportedly found him, dragged him out, beat him, and threatened to shoot him.

“One pointed a gun at my stomach and said he would shoot me. They handcuffed me, threw me into the back of the truck, and took me away,” he stated.

Cleared by the Complainant

At the Accra Regional Police Command, Nii Oyanka says he was interrogated, but the complainant later confirmed in front of senior officers that he was not involved in the dispute.

The petition describes the raid as “a violation of fundamental rights, a breach of protocol, and a disturbing misuse of police power.”

Calls for Action

The petition requests:

1. A full investigation into the conduct of the officers involved.

2. Disciplinary measures where misconduct is proven.

3. Structural reforms to prevent future unauthorised or rogue operations.

 

Nii Oyanka signed the petition in his capacities as:

Chairman, Abola Piam Royal Council, Ga-Dangbe Traditional Area, Accra

Chairman, Anamase Royal Alliance Council, Akyem Bosome Traditional Area

Minister of Education, West Africa Montessori Model United Nations

Founder & Chair, Council of International Chambers of Commerce for West Africa

As of now, the Ghana Police Service has not publicly responded to the allegations. The matter is with the Police Intelligence and Professional Standards Bureau pending official action.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *